2.07.2012

Crusty Mac 'n' Cheese

1 lb elbow macaroni
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 cups whole milk (I used 2% because it was what we had)
1-1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Jack cheese
(Rather than use cheddar and Jack, I just shredded 2 cups of Monterey Jack)
1/2 cup shredded American cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a bowl. I used a 5-quart pot filled almost to the top. Add the pasta and cook 8-10 minutes or until soft. Drain and put to the side.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
In a large sauce pan, melt 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat.
Add flour and nutmeg and stir until it's the consistency of paste. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the milk and stir until mixture thickens.
Add the cheese 1/4 cup at a time until it is all melted.
Stir cheese into the macaroni and mix well.
Scrape into the dish.
Melt the last 1/4 cup of butter and add the panko breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to blend.
Sprinkle crumb mixture on top of macaroni.
Bake 25-30 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
Let stand 5-10 minutes and serve.

I made this for Superbowl Sunday. I only have a pre-oven picture and not a final masterpiece shot. Sorry, kids. This was my second attempt at cooking in a week's time and I think as long as I have a recipe to work with, I'm going to be just fine at it. This time I totally didn't have an anxiety attack and start crying when I watched people eating my food. Hahaha. Sad but true. And? This was some yummy mac 'n' cheese, ya'll. Practically gourmet.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Good lord, do I love mac n cheese! Yum.

I've had crying fits while cooking. True story.

Gen said...

ooh I LOVE LOVE LOVE mac n cheese!

I'm not one to cook, heck I can barely boil eggs!! But I have some really easy recipes that you should try - they're simple and delish.

April said...

Joe's been bugging me to find a good homemade mac n' cheese recipe. I think I'll try this one but leave out the nutmeg. I'm not a fan of nutmeg. Also, your ingredients list calls for a 1/4 cup of butter but in your directions you say to melt the first 1/4 of a cup and then another 1/4 of a cup. Should it be a 1/2 a cup total or were the instructions wrong?

Randi said...

Correct. 1/2 cup total.

Coodence said...

Crusty Mac n Cheese. Doesn't look a thing like her.