1.23.2012

Movie Review Monday

I've fallen a bit behind on the reviews and I'll blame playoff football games for this. Hopefully with the season winding down I'll get back on track. Because really? I don't care about the fucking Patriots going to the Superbowl AGAIN and I'm a bit butt hurt about San Francisco losing because that was at least a California team that I might be able to root for.
Speaking of San Francisco, that's where Rise of the Planet of the Apes is filmed. The only reason I put this on the queue is because it is awards season and everyone is raving about the job Andy Serkis of Golum fame did making lead ape Caesar come to life. Both his performance and the CGI effects are noteworthy indeed. The cast was pretty solid. I think James Franco is lucky he's had the solid roles he's had but I'm not sure he's the best actor. Every time I see John Lithgow I think of Harry and the Hendersons. Frieda Pinto was super pretty. Draco Malfoy had a cameo and got to do the "damn dirty ape" line from the original.
Basically this movie is about a bunch of monkeys that get a hold of some brain enhancing meds and break lose in San Francsico. Supposedly this is the prequel of the other Planet of the Apes movies and I have to admit I have seen none of them. This one's got a lot of back story and Alzheimer talk when in reality all you want to see is apes doing some damage. If you're patient enough, you get to see some serious shit go down on the Golden Gate Bridge. That's about all I can say about this movie. Yup.

2 comments:

Coodence said...

I only saw the remake with Helena Bonham Carter as the pretty ape and I thought it was pretty much one of the worst movies of all time.

April said...

We have this movie coming in the mail tomorrow from Netflix. So, did you like it?