1.09.2012

Movie Review Monday

Friday night's DVD was Horrible Bosses. To be honest with you, I had very low expectations for this movie. Most of the comedies we've gotten lately have just not been that funny. I'm super glad it broke the string of bad flicks we'd been watching. Jennifer Aniston has never been nastier. Colin Farrell has never looked worse. Kevin Spacey has never been such a dick. It was great. I clearly love Jason Bateman as all of us do. Sudeikis really effed me over with Hall Pass but made up for it here. As for Charlie Day, I could hardly stand him in the single episode I watched of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which I could hardly stand either. However, he was the scene stealer in this movie. Very funny. I think it's his high pitched voice. Whatever it is, this cast and this very dark story really worked for me. Plus, a Santa Clara alumnus makes a brief appearance and it made me proud to be an Oxnardian and a Saint.

Next up was Super 8. This really was a no-brainer and I'm not exactly sure why we didn't see it in the theater. Husband identified the Goonies vibe right away and from there it was just a great, old-fashioned movie watching experience. The train crash sequence was amazing. Elle Fanning? For a 14-year old, she can sure act her ass off! My goodness! There wasn't a moment in this movie where I lost interest. The kids are just great and the air force is a super great bad guy. As for the alien? Let's just say it made me poop my pants. Not literally. But close. Loved it.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I loved "Super 8" so much!! It was one of the best movies I saw last year, if not THE best movie.

"Horrible Bosses" was a total surprise! I had low expectations but it made me laugh. A lot. And gave me Charlie Day as a new pretend boyfriend. He's adorable.

Coodence said...

I want to see horrible bosses! Yay for double feature movie review.

April said...

I don't know why you guys had such low expectations of Horrible Bosses. That shit looked hilarious in the previews and the cast is stellar. I mean, it's a comedy without Will Ferrell so that's a bonus right there. =)

We recently saw both of these movies and LOVED them. I actually wasn't too excited to see Super 8. It just didn't look very exciting from the previews. But I'm SO glad that I sat down to watch it because from start to finish it was just awesome! I agree that it had that Goonies feel to it.

Damon said...

I wanted to see this movie mostly because of Charlie Day and Jennifer Aniston. They are two of my favorite actors, and I was really looking forward to seeing them act together. It was hilarious seeing them act together.

As for Super 8, I haven’t seen it yet because I have been waiting for reviews on how it was. From what you’ve said, I think it will be the next movie I take a look at! I’ve been using the Blockbuster Movie Pass for a while now and being able to rent movies and Blu-Rays like Horrible Bosses whenever I want is one of the biggest positive about it. I can even stream many movies if I choose! DISH is practically giving it away too. Whether or not I was working for DISH, I would still have to have the Blockbuster Movie Pass. It has let me see so many movies that I wouldn’t have seen if I didn’t have it, like Super 8. It’s next on my list!