12.13.2011

Netflix Review

When Netflix jacked up their prices, we opted to keep the streaming movies on our PlayStation. After a while, though, we realized we missed the DVDs and the choices on the streaming are quite limited. Our first week back on the DVDs we got Hall Pass and The King's Speech. Since I didn't want to have to pay too much attention to the DVD and really want to enjoy The King's Speech, we opted to put in Hall Pass.
Hindsight being 20/20, I guess I would have wanted to know that Rotten Tomatoes gave this movie a 35% out of 165 reviews. That's not a good sign. When I put this on our queue it was because of the line in the trailer: How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice. It was Jason Sudeikis' pick up line and he's a funny guy. So are Owen Wilson, Pam from The Office and Christina Applegate. Plus the Farrelly Brothers are supposedly quite comedic. How did this movie go so horribly awry? How does a movie make me dislike Pam from The Office? Inconceivable!
This movie is about a couple of wives who give their husbands a week off of marriage so they can see that the good ol' days aren't really as good as they remembered. I guess. I don't know. It was godawful. I laughed twice? Maybe? And that's being generous. Even the gratuitous toilet humor was so crass it wasn't funny. So we sit through this whole shitty movie just on principle and it just kept on sucking. I even sat through the credits for a bit with Husband because he couldn't believe the movie was written by the Farrelly Brothers and needed to see it with his own eyes. Naturally, we're treated to one last "extra" snippet that includes male on male anal rape. Yeah. Sums it up quite nicely.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

This was one of the last DVDs I watched before ending my DVD portion of the Netflix relationship. It was horrid.

I'm enjoying having the streaming only option. I'm using it to catch up on TV shows I didn't think I was interested in or are from England. Oh, England. How you entertain me.

Gen said...

Eek. I kinda liked the movie.

April said...

I'm with Gen, I kinda liked the movie too. Then again, I thought the movie Elf was awful, which I'm assuming you like? We probably just don't agree on many movies. To each his own I guess. =)