8.08.2011

Southern Comfort



Since we don't get Netflix DVDs in the mail any more, I have resorted to watching movies on the TV... commercials and everything. Thank goodness for DVR and the ability to fast forward through those repetitive sons of bitches. This weekend, our double feature was brought to us by CMT. On Country Music Television, they show about 8 minutes of movie and 8 minutes of commercials. We watched Steel Magnolias and Fried Green Tomatoes, of which I had seen the former and not the latter. I have to say, I really enjoyed Fried Green Tomatoes but there is a lot of sad shit going on in that movie. And were they lesbians? I couldn't figure it out.
I liked that the lead characters in both movies were all strong, older women. In my opinion, while all of them are beautiful women, none of them were unrealistically so. They looked like they could be my neighbor or someone I would bump into on the streets. There was nothing extraordinary about the way either movie looked; not one bit of CG in either of them, no special effects or anything over the top. It was just fantastic storytelling acted superbly by actresses of the finest caliber. Have all the good movies already been made? Will there ever be a movie again that will have a lifetime affect on me like films of the 80s and 90s? Do you remember the way Steel Magnolias CRUSHED you? They just don't make 'em like they used to.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I love Steel Magnolias more than anything. Oh Shelby!

Andrea said...

I don't believe I've ever watched "Fried Green Tomatoes." But I, apparently, look like one of the ladies in it.

My friends at home loved "Steel Magnolias."

These are just not my type of movie.

I'm mean and stuff.

Coodence said...

Sad shit both of them. I did love em both. Book of Ruth, I believe? From Fried Green Tomatoes?

Shelby.

Did the Doctor watch Steel Magnolias with you?

cindita said...

Oh, how I love both of those! Fried green tomatoes was an instant favorite of mine when I saw it in the theater...oh, and what were the colors again from steel magnolias? You'll have to remind me...good sad shit.