8.17.2011

High Expectations

I guess I expect a lot from people. Here are some examples:
  • I expected an RSVP to the invitation I sent you that specifically asks for an RSVP by a certain date. Don't respond to the mother of the bride. Don't tell the bride. Call me. I'm the one that would have fed you and/or hosted you in my house. It's my number listed there.
  • I didn't expect to have to follow up with an email that enables you to tell me that you forgot to call. Really?
  • I expected my brother to attend his nephew's first birthday party rather than going to some big ass hip hop concert. Instead I had to shrug it off because he seemed distressed to learn the party was on the same day. Like his wife didn't tell him that already.
  • I expected the trash would have been taken out last night but it wasn't.
  • I expected Husband to still have his curls for our family portrait. Instead he came home with a buzz cut.
The PMS is alive and well in my body today. I knew this was going to happen. It's one of the reasons I was trying to avoid having my son's birthday party the Saturday before I take the ring out. This is why I am writing this instead of yelling at people. God willing, this blog post will keep me from crying and being disappointed. I talk to my mom a lot, you know. Like more than once a day. She knows about all the mundane happenings in my life. The day to day goings on. She keeps telling me "It will get better." I have to assume that at 34 years of age, it's probably not going to "get better." I expect things will stay just about the same until the day I take my dying breath. Amen.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed." - Alexander Pope

5 comments:

Andrea said...

It will and can get better, if you choose to make it better.

(This is where we learn that my happiness project makes me an annoying human being.)

1. People do what is comfortable and familiar to them. If they know the mother of the bride but not you, that's just what they are going to do. In the end, it all works out, there's not much you can do to change human nature, breathe.

2. But you chose to. :)

3. Be happy for those that will be there instead of sad about those that will not. Sure it stinks that someone important to you will not be there, but there will be other people that are also important to you that will be!

4. It'll get taken out today.

5. But he'll be in the portrait as part of the family and it'll be awesome!

See? Annoying.

The Happiness Project! Woo!

*runs away before Randi can throw her ring at her*

April said...

I have times like this, too, so you're not alone. (which I know you know because I vented to you on IM before)

It sucks when people disappoint us, that's for sure. And it's SOO FUCKING HARD to not have expectations! Especially when those expectations are reasonable.

I, for one, completely agree that your brother should be there. There will be more concerts but only one 1st birthday. Sure there will be other birthdays, but they're not the same as the 1st.

And sure you can be more optimistic like Andrea is suggesting, but it's really hard to see things that way sometimes. Not to mention that even if you do see it optimisitically, that shit still pisses you off deep down and just builds up inside, only making things worse in my opinion. So get it out!!

It's good that you're venting here and not losing your shit. We're all ears for you when you need to get it out, sister! (or should I say all eyes)

Christine said...

Dear Randi,
I'm sorry the party is causing you grief. Clearly, people have no idea how to function in an RSVP - it makes me dread making the final head count for the wedding, because I feel like there are already people who have RSVP'd wrong - ugh! And several people (who are not invited) have talked about coming....yeah, I hope not! xoxo, I will help in whatever way I can. Although I won't take out the trash. I don't even do that at my own house :)

cindita said...

Or...another moral could be...blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape...I'm just sayin'

Coodence said...

The last line made me LOL. You're such a fucking drama queen. I love you, ho.