8.03.2011

Got My Hands Full

There are a lot of things I can do with as a "single mother" but ultimately I get things done a little quicker when I don't have a child in my arms. Last night was trash night so I had to take out some trash and I'd rather not carry the boy with me while I have my arms full of garbage. Most of the time, I'll just run out the door and quickly take care of a thing or two while Casey is distracted by his toys. We have this sliding glass door and because the lock doesn't work on it, we use a metal bar in the frame so that it only opens about a couple inches wide. Most times I take it out of the frame and put it up high otherwise Casey just sits there and bangs metal against metal in an effort to drive me out of my mind.
Yesterday, I did not take it out of the frame and it was just leaning on the sliding door. So what did I do? I just closed that sliding door right behind me so Casey wouldn't end up elbow deep in the dog's water. Lo, the metal bar slid down and I was instantly locked out of my house. Naturally, I ran around front to check the door and, because I am super safe and cautious, it too was locked securely. Did I have my keys on me? My cell phone? No. That would be too easy. So there is Casey, looking at me from inside the locked house as I look back at him locked outside.
What kind of mother am I? How do I explain to the neighbors that I have to use their phone because my 11-month old is locked indoors alone with our huge dog who looks like she could eat you (even if she would merely lick you to death) and countless other hazards? I knew I had stashed a spare key in a cookie jar just inside the sliding glass door on top of the counter but I wasn't sure just how I was going to get at it. Mind you, the crack of the door is about 2 inches wide (if that) but my one arm had to not only fit through, but reach to the right, take off the top of the cookie jar and get into it to access that spare. Long story short, I did it. Of course I did. I'm super mom. And clearly, very flexible.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: He who sows hurry reaps indigestion. - Robert Louis Stevenson

3 comments:

Coodence said...

I worry about shit like that all the time.

libelletage.com said...

I'm pretty sure most parents have a story like that.

cod's MIL said...

oh honey, i had mike lock me out when he was about 2. we had a push button lock on the door knob in the kitchen to the garage. i went out to put a load of laundry in the washer and mike pushed the button and locked me out!! here i was trying to cox him to open the door for me as he giggled in the kitchen. well he finally opened the door and from then on we had an extra key hidden in the garage.