6.20.2011

Conviction

I saw the trailer for Conviction on a rental we'd gotten not long ago and it looked like a solid cast and a good story so we rented it. The movie is based on the true story of a lady named Betty Ann Waters whose brother was wrongly convicted of murder. Her determination to prove his innocence drove her to basically push her own family aside as she worked her way up from a waitress to a lawyer in order to get her brother out of jail. I think the story was there but Conviction got lost in a mishmash of flashbacks. Hillary Swank always seems to play the same kind of character but she's definitely good at it. Minnie Driver doesn't really do much other than play the supportive friend. Sam Rockwell is simply a fantastic actor. The highlight of this movie for me, though, is the rare appearance Juliette Lewis makes. I wonder why she doesn't act more. She's really a gem. I suppose I'd give this movie a C+. It's not great but it's not awful. Then again, who am I to judge? I watched it while I was totally exhausted and chasing a baby around the house.

No comments: