3.14.2011

Movie Review Monday

Because I am nothing if not thorough, I watched The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest on Netflix this weekend. I have to say, this was my least favorite of the movies. The book had so many things going on that it would have been impossible to condense them all into an interesting movie. Salander is mostly confined to the hospital or a courtroom. The rest of the time, Blomkvist is uncovering the secret section of the Swedish police and Berger is starting over at another magazine with the added thrill of a stalker. There's nothing too visual about any of it. It's just a lot of investigative work. I will say, however, that the movie version tried very hard to do justice as an adaptation. I'm comfortable bidding this trilogy adieu. It has been my focus for weeks and now it is over. Ultimately, I hope the family and former girlfriend of Larsson figure out their differences and release his works in progress. I think it's tragic that greed can keep great stories from going public. I think I might go on hiatus for a bit with the book reading. I have several issues of Entertainment Weekly that I need to catch up on and I'm afraid that nothing will be able to hold my interest like the Millennium Trilogy did. Not for a while at least.

No comments: