3.16.2011

Di No A Las Drogas

This was the scene across the street from my babysitter's house this morning. There were at least 6 more cop cars lining the streets and nary a place to park. I ended up parking near the curb diagonally to drop Casey off with the permission of one of the officers. One of the officers, mind you, who had a gun the size of his leg drawn. I'm always fascinated by scenes like this because they seem to be right out of one of my TV programs. Per Maria, this morning at 7 a.m., three people were arrested. She believes it is because they were selling drugs. Her daughter couldn't leave the house on time for work because of the policemen blocking the driveway. I asked her if she was afraid and she said yes. I told her not to be; the policemen were there so she'd be safe. I jokingly thought to myself what a great mother I was to be dropping off my son in what looks to be the center of a war zone. The truth is, though, no matter the neighborhood, this sort of shit is going on everywhere. People might think that because they live in an affluent area they'll be able to avoid crime, but I don't think criminals hold any prejudices. We don't really know what goes on behind closed doors, or next door for that matter. Do I feel any less safe leaving Casey with Maria with this going on right outside? No. If I lived with that kind of fear, I'd need a much heavier dose of Prozac. I'm pretty sure bad things are as likely to happen at our house as they are to happen at Maria's.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: "Insisting on absolute safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." - Mary Shafer, NASA Dryden Flight Research Center

3 comments:

April said...

Good for you for not worrying. I have to admit, that scene would've had me second guessing if leaving my child there every day was a good idea. But I'm a big pussy like that. I didn't used to be. It wasn't until I moved to NOVA, where we get the DC news stream. Too many mornings, I see report after report of innocent children getting shot by stray bullets. I know we can't predict where those bullets will fly. And I know that we can't keep a shield over them or keep them in a bubble. Which is why even though I probably would've still kept my son at that sitters house. But, it still would've had me worried. You are a strong woman!

Sassy said...

I want to see those guns!

Christine said...

In the summer in my neighborhood, the signs of drug selling and use are everywhere. I've swept up little baggies in front of my house, and we've had a clearly high guy trying to get into our house on Xmas Eve. Kids are out, playing on the street every day, and I like to think that we neighbors are looking out for them. Drugs and poverty go hand in hand and until we can remedy poverty, this will be an unfortunate consequence of lower income areas. Its sad, and it ain't right. The best thing you can do is use it as a tool to teach Casey someday.