2.07.2011

Easy A Indeed

I have to throw some Ventura County pride out there and let you know that this movie opens up in Ojai, CA! The whole dang movie looks like it was filmed there. For those of you not familiar with Ojai, it's a very quaint area about half an hour from here (here being Oxnard). Supposedly Reese Witherspoon lives out there amongst the rest of the artsy-fartsy and mostly wealthy residents. It's a lovely place and Easy A does a good job of highlighting it. If you haven't been, I highly recommend a visit. Enjoy a culinary masterpiece at Suzanne's Cuisine. Or maybe have an unforgettable strawberry shortcake at Boccali's like Tom Hanks! You're welcome.
As for the movie? I sort of loved it. It's about a high school student named Olive who starts to get a certain reputation after rumors start circulating that she lost her virginity to a college guy. She then pretends to sleep with a gay friend of hers so the other students stop bullying him. And then she pretends to sleep with the nerds in exchange for gift cards. Ultimately, she gets a reputation as a whore and decides to run with it, wearing an A stitched into her slutty clothes in homage to The Scarlet Letter, which she just so happens to be reading in class.
This is a very smart and clever movie. It definitely made me a fan of Emma Stone. Her parents - played by Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson - are hip and hilarious. I was quite pleased with all the cast frankly. I mean, who doesn't love Amanda Bynes? Or maybe it's just me because I used to watch her variety show on Nickelodeon every Saturday night when I was a a babysitter. But, I digress. It has been a long time since I've seen a high school movie that I really liked and I will give Easy A the compliment of being reminiscent of a John Hughes film.

No comments: