11.10.2010

Time

The birthday boy with his nephew

My brother Curtis turns 29 today. Sometimes I feel like I can remember him coming home for the first time. I was 4-1/2 years old. I recall my mother coming through the garage with him. I have so many memories of us growing up together and how we have gone from trying to murder one another as children to the friendship and adult relationship we share now. I also remember how disgusted I was when he started getting armpit hair. Now he's a grown ass man and a father of one with another on the way. Unbelievable.

Husband is coming home tonight. This time he was only gone for three days so it wasn't so bad and for the remainder of the month he works short weeks but what's going to happen when he's gone for five days in a row again? It's about time someone get him a mother-lovin' transfer up here so we can live together and I don't have to do the countdown I always do whenever he leaves.

Usually Hump Days are happy occasions but I'm not so sure about this one. This one marks the halfway point of my last week at home with Casey. While I'm excited to get back to the grown up world of working, I guess I don't feel that great about my son spending the majority of his time with another woman. I will have had him all to myself for almost 12 weeks by the time I go back to work. It's finally getting easier to interpret his moods. His schedule is pretty consistent. Hell, we even battled his first cold together and we both got through it alive. Just when it starts getting easy, I have to give up my time with him. It really is true when people tell you time will go by so fast and to appreciate the moments I have with him while he is little. He has changed so much in this short period of time. He's developing his wee personality and is changing physically as well, getting chubbier and longer. Whenever I look at him, I can't believe I made him. Inside me. Blows me away.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: "Time is free but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it, you can never get it back." - Harvey MacKay

2 comments:

Sassy said...

Time is precious. You really have to cherish it.

I just knew it was your bro and SIL expecting again!!

April said...

Dude, your brother? HOT! Just sayin'.

And you're so right about time going by fast and how quickly they grow. I look at Ethan being 12 and I get sad sometimes because he's just getting so big. He's like a little man. He's starting to lose his chubby cheeks and just growing too damn much!