11.29.2010

Movie Review Monday

It takes a special movie for us to get a sitter for Casey and the first installment of the final Harry Potter release was good enough for us. I will say this, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part I was a pretty scary two and a half hours. Even the color palette of the movie was dark. With all the snakes and spiders and shooting of wands, I found myself hiding in my hoodie or practically jumping onto Husband's lap quite a bit. He and I had a discussion afterward that the whole Voldemort versus the Muggles was very reminiscent of the Holocaust: The Ministry and Hermione getting "Mudblood" ripped into her arm by Bellatrix Lestrange... Yeah. I think between that and the nude scene between Harry and Hermione, though tastefully done, definitely warranted the PG-13 rating yet there were tiny children in the theater with us. Had I been one of them? I may have been scarred for life. So scary. I hope as Casey gets older, I have more common sense than some of the parents out there when it comes to taking him to age-appropriate movies.

As for the Netflix viewing, we watched How To Train Your Dragon. I can't give enough praise to this movie. Although I am not a 3D advocate, I can see how this could have been very impressive in that form. The Blue Ray alone was sort of blowing my mind especially with the scenes where they are flying through the sky and over the sea - so pretty. This is a story about a young Viking that just doesn't seem to have the same kind of blood lust when it comes to dragons as the rest of his village. Instead, he has a knack for taming them and basically ends up blowing the minds of the other Vikings even though he's a wet noodle of a kid and they're all big and brawny. It totally didn't sound like my kind of movie when it came out but was wildly popular. In hindsight, I sort of wish we'd seen this in the theater. It's smart and funny and I totally wept more than once because of its Father/Son storyline. I swear to God, all I do is cry.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

Could Ray Fiennes be any scarier?