8.16.2010

Movie Review Monday

This week we decided to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. I have a soft spot for Michael Cera but was a bit worried going into this movie that I was going to be too old for this "genre." I guess you could describe it as a comic book, music video, video game hybrid. It moves fast and has a lot of additional animation. It's definitely for the A.D.D. generation. I liked it but it felt a bit long at times. The fight scenes were well choreographed and the whole movie was very original. The characters were interesting and I laughed quite a bit. Husband agreed with me, however, that we probably don't need to see it again.

And even though I have been avoiding this movie like the plague, Avatar magically showed up in our mailbox this weekend. Husband sneaked it on the queue and I tried to put it off but inevitably lost the coin toss and we threw it on. Maybe I went into this with a bad attitude but I didn't like it. I didn't find it to be visually mind blowing. I thought the story was a lot of tree hugging and military hating. I think James Cameron has a God complex. I didn't like looking at these cat people alien things. Pony tails that plug into everything? I just don't know. And frankly, I didn't even find it overly original. As my former high school teacher pointed out, it was very Dances With Wolves set a thousand years in the future. Husband said it sucked because I wanted it to suck but really I just don't think I'm a fan of the sci fi. So there.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

Yah, it was AIGHT. Avatar, I mean. It was one of two movies I saw in the theater so that predisposed me to liking it. I liked the blue people. And I didn't think of them as native americans because sometimes I am dumb. Helped to enjoy the movie more.

I heart Michael Cera.