7.27.2010

Tummy Tuesday

My shower is this weekend. Husband's co-workers are throwing him a shower on Thursday. We should see quite the influx of baby goods this week. I've sort of been putting off doing anything baby related until after the shower but I also feel like I've put it off too long. The nursery is still looking pretty mediocre. There are baby clothes to be washed. I also haven't made my "bearph" playlist for the iPod. Nor have I written a birth plan. Nor have I packed my bag for the hospital. Denial? Maybe.
I found my first under-the-tummy stretch mark on Monday morning and I can't say I'm pleased about this. I'm also not crazy about how close I came to peeing the bed on Sunday night. Or how often I have heartburn even though I did learn about the medicinal powers of Ginger Ale when it comes to this particular ailment. Or how uncomfortable walking and lifting my legs have become. Last Thursday, the doctor did tell me that he was pleased with how I was doing and I looked really good. He scheduled an ultrasound for the 4th to make sure baby's in the right position though he seems to think he is by jabbing his fingers into my lower abdomen. Rock on, Doc. And cut that shit out.

Here's what babycenter.com says about 36 weeks (4 to go!):
Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. He now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a Crenshaw Melon
[L dot A dot Crenshaw Boulevard?]) and is more than 18.5 inches long. He's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered his body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected his skin during his 9-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of his first bowel movement (Anyone who is pregnant knows the importance of poop. I mean this.). At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely he's in a head-down position. But if he isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an appointment to try to coax your baby into a head-down position by manipulating him from the outside of your belly.

2 comments:

Coodence said...

Sounds pretty rough, kid! It will all be over soon enough.

Lisa..... said...

Yay! Almost done. And I totally feel you on the stretch mark thing.