7.19.2010

Movie Review Monday

So many of my favorite actors do voices in Despicable Me: Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Russell Brand and Jason Segel to name a few. Oh and Julie Andrews. How could I forget her? I heard some good feedback from friends on Facebook and I was really expecting a lot. And frankly the minions could not be cuter. Unfortunately, I didn't think it was as funny as I wanted it to be. I still really liked it, I just sort of expected more. I guess that's the shame about word of mouth. You start to hear lots of good things and your expectations build to a point where they're unlikely to be met.
The story of this movie is basically one evil villain, Gru, trying to outdo another, Vector. They trump one another by stealing monuments. In order to infiltrate Vector's fortress to steal a miniaturizing weapon that will allow him to steal the moon, Gru adopts three orphan girls who originally penetrated the perimeter while selling cookies. Ah, cookies, the undoing of us all. This is a story of redemption I suppose you could say. And since it involved the theme of "Family" and/or "Parenthood," it, like so many movies before it, tugged at my heartstrings and left me blotting the tears from my eyes. I'm ashamed of me. Despicable, pregnant me.

2 comments:

J.R.Shirley said...

Well, Claire and I liked it a lot. Sorry you didn't like it even more. (But it beat THE HELL out of The Last Airbender, right?)

John

Randi said...

I wasn't going to give M.Night any more of my time or money.