7.15.2010

Book Review Thursday

I'm at the tail end of this book - about 100 easy pages to go - so I figured I would review it even though I'm not technically done. Mostly, Russell Brand's My Booky Wook: A Memoir of Sex, Drugs, and Stand-Up is just that: a collection of memories. It doesn't have much of a sense of flow or cohesion but is more of a series of anecdotes reflecting on a young life full of debauchery and shenanigans. There is a vague sense that it is chronologically detailing such events but he will bounce back and forth between memories of being a juvenile and then a teenager. It's really kind of fun. It's no secret that I adore the British and you can just hear in your head the way he speaks through the way he places words on a page. I think one of my favorite aspects are the little footnotes where he'll break away to describe a certain British pop culture phenomenon or some lingo that we Yanks probably have never heard of. And? There's the extra special treat of colored photographs stuck in the middle so you can see him growing up. Quite cute. Russell Brand is very funny and clearly very smart and reminds you of a naughty little boy that is constantly testing you... You never really know when he's being cheeky or sincere but it's a good time nonetheless.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

He's so cute, too.
Guess what I don't do anymore?
Read.