6.29.2010

Tummy Tuesday

First and foremost, I'd like to give a shout out to BFF who had her first baby yesterday! It's a GIRL! She is super adorable and I love her already and her arrival into this world makes me only all the more eager to welcome my own little bundle of joy. I am already having matchmaker fantasies. Just call me Yente.
So last week I had a bit of a freak-out because of the following. When I was 19 I terminated a pregnancy and was told I was RH-negative and that would affect every pregnancy I ever had. For 14 years I have been carrying that piece of information around with me. Of course, I am O-negative and Husband is O-positive and this is the very thing I had to be worried about. Apparently there is some sort of shot I was supposed to get at the 28th week of pregnancy that would prevent complications should my blood mix with the baby's blood in the womb. If baby has positive blood like his papa, my negative blood would develop an antibody against that blood that would make baby need a transfusion after birth. Phew. Got all that?
Well at week 31 it dawned on me that I hadn't gotten said shot and I kind of freaked out and called the doctor. I am assuming my unanticipated visits for blindness and/or near fainting threw us all off schedule. Doc was on vacay so I spoke to the nurse and she was like "It's no big deal, we'll just squeeze it in" and I said "Great, see you on the 1st" and she was all "Yeah it's better if we do it before the weekend" which got me wondering "is it serious or not!?!?" Well, it's not, I guess, since she told me it was purely prophylactic and was mostly a concern in high risk pregnancies. Either way, I got the dang shot. So all you ladies out there with RH-negative blood types, there's my story. Maybe you can walk away with a little extra knowledge.
I can't wait to see what these last 8 weeks bring. I have another appointment on Thursday, hopefully I'll come back with another fun tale for next week.

Here's what babycenter.com says about 32 weeks:
By now, your baby weighs 3.75 pounds (pick up a large jicama) and is about 16.7 inches long, taking up a lot of space in your uterus. You're gaining about a pound a week and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, he'll gain a third to half of his birth weight during the next 7 weeks as he fattens up for survival outside the womb. He now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). His skin is becoming soft and smooth as he plumps up in preparation for birth.

3 comments:

ceedee said...

yay for fat babies and jicama!

Lisa..... said...

I'm rh negative too. And you get a shot after the baby is born too, depending on the blood type. And I distinctly remember it being cold!

And yay, you're almost a mama!!

Shora said...

Another freaky in-common thing we have. I'm also O negative, and also found out when I was pregnant with my second and also had a wee freakout. I had the shot but later found out I didn't need it as my husband is also O negative. The chances of that are slim! Apparently we make up a very small part of the population, but a very desirable one... our blood is mucho valuable. Kinda like Eric on True Blood. Hehe.