6.15.2010

Tummy Tuesday

My hips have become my worst enemy. Not the outside, so much, but the inside near my cookie nether regions. This has made me very difficult to get along with because if there is anything a big woman doesn't like, it's being in pain from standing up. Or sitting down. Or bending. Or lying down. Either way... uncomfortable. But I have learned that a swimming pool is a pregnant woman's best friend because, no matter how temporary, it's nice not weighing a ton for just a little while.
I attended a friend's shower over the weekend. We're both due the same day with the same doctor at the same hospital only she has a girl coming and I have a boy. She was very brave and registered at Babies-R-Us which is a giant warehouse-o-baby goods. I went in there to buy her gift and was OVERWHELMED. I registered at Target (there's my list in case you'd like to add any commentary) which has about 4 aisles. Babies-R-Us? Like 45 aisles. Terrifying. I was accosted no less than 5 times by different sales people as I walked around looking for her registry items. Upon checkout? We were asked if we wanted the following: a rewards card, a gift certificate, batteries and maybe chewing gum or a heart transplant. WOW. Customer service overload. I don't think we'll be back. Anyhoo, at said shower, I noticed not many things were off the registry. Is this common?
The baby's kicks have graduated to cute little nudges to full on wallops. The other day I felt something quite hard and angular migrate across my midsection. A knee? An elbow? Hard to say but this little fella is getting big!

Here's what babycenter.com has to say about 30 weeks:
Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and he weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid (see Nalgene bottle below and/or 2 beers at the bar for perspective. WOW! That's a lotta baby juice!) surrounds him, but that volume will decrease as he gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. His eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after he's born, he'll keep his eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means he can only make out objects a few inches from his face.

2 comments:

Coodence said...

Babies R Us is one of the layers of hell. May you be blessed for not registering there.

ceedee said...

Methinks the same people put together Babies R Us and David's Bridal. Literally awful, awful places which should never be visited.
I'm beginning to think walmart is on that list as well....