5.04.2010

Tummy Tuesday

I went for my gestational diabetes test on Friday. While it wasn't the most fun thing I've ever done, I can't say it was the worst. I had to fast, get blood drawn, drink a softball-sized bottle of what is essentially hummingbird food (a.k.a. sugar water), wait an hour and get another blood draw. I will say that by the time I left I was STARVING but that's just pregnant I guess. I haven't heard anything back so I am assuming no news is good news.
I find myself becoming more and more clumsy. I throw just about everything I touch across the room which is awesome. I'm also becoming mildly retarded. Example: Husband and I were watching The Patriot and I said "I wonder if Mark Gibson still talks with an Italian accent." That translates roughly to "I wonder if Mel Gibson still talks with an Australian accent." That's just one isolated incident but it happens a lot. I'm practically dyslexic when it comes to numbers now which is also awesome because I do receiving and billing for work and there are no numbers involved in that. Yeah right.
And finally, it would appear my son is a kick-boxer. He really moves around a lot. I totally saw my clothes moving the other day after he repeatedly bounced around in my tummy. Last night we had a bit of an emergency situation (no worries, everything is under control) and I was in full-on adrenaline mode. By the time things settled down, the baby was performing his aerobics routine in the bottom of my belly. I really like feeling him move but if he could avoid the back of my belly button that would be awesome, his dad already spends all his time pushing said belly button like it's going to dispense some amazing prize.

Here's what babycenter.com says about week 24:
Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Author's Note: This is my 1,007th post here. That's just crazy.

3 comments:

Lisa..... said...

I definitely think pregnant brain is a real diagnosis. ;)

Nancy gurl said...

I call it placenta head. I didn't know if I was dropping things more than usual or if I had always dropped things but noticed it more bc of the belly.

I would find scissors in the freezer, gloves in my underwear drawer, and juice in the bathroom.

The good news is that it gets much worse post pregnancy when you are little hours of sleep. Today, I found a pacifier in my make up bag and my eyeglasses in the diaper basket--good times!!!!!

You will be an awesome mom!!! Since the lil guy like to move, you can play with him. Put the remote control on your belly when you are watching tv and laying down at night. Ethan would literally kick it off me/him.

Coodence said...

It's true. What Nancy says. I put stuff on my belly so I can watch it move. I think it's neat and funny. Oh the games we play.