5.13.2010

Push

For my first venture back into reading for "pleasure", I chose Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire. For those of you that have been living in a cave for the past several months, this is also a movie which is about a young black girl in the 80s who is horribly abused - emotionally, physically, sexually - by her mother and father. At age 12 she gave birth to Little Mongo, a daughter with Down's Syndrome. At 16 she is pregnant with her second child by her father. She is illiterate and invisible and through a series of events ends up in an alternative learning program where she learns to read and write and tell her very own story of rebirth in her own words, under her own terms.
Many of you are probably wondering why I chose to read this. I bought it along with The Blind Side few months ago when it was on the 2-for-1 table at Border's and this was the shorter of the two books. It's turns out, this book is horribly upsetting and very hard to read. It is written phonetically in parts and the grammar is painful but aside from that who wants to read about incest? I learned that I do not, however, Sapphire seems very comfortable with writing about it. Frequently. In detail. I can't even say I walked away inspired after reading this book. Mostly, I just felt empty and sad. I can only imagine watching this movie but if the characters were this hard to read about, what must they have been like to portray as an actress? I shudder at the thought.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I watched the movie. It is a hard movie to watch. Quite hard. Very real. Having worked in a social work/foster care/etc. type setting for 14 years? This is quite real and the things that occur happen to real kids every day. Which makes it all the more hard to watch.

Do not watch it if already in a down mood. And do not watch it and The Wrestler back to back.

That was not a fun evening...

Coodence said...

yah, sweetheart. let me get you something nice to read.

Sassy said...

You need something more uplifting to read. How about the book of Awesome? :)

Lisa..... said...

I saw the movie and it was hard to watch. But I loved it. Somethings need to be told.