2.18.2010

Fetal Update Thursday

First of all, BFF sent me this link and I really recommend it for a hilarious take on the joys of being with child. I wish I could be that funny but instead I just come across like a bitter ol' whiner.

I think at 12 weeks the morning sickness may be behind me (unless by typing that I just jinxed myself - someone quick, knock on wood). Husband and I went out for fish and chips on Monday and I think that maybe fried food is not my friend because that was the last time my head was in the toilet. I finally caved on Monday, too, and took a Zyrtec. I learned that while pregnant, the mucus membranes swell thus leading to complete loss of the use of my nostrils. I live in a primarily agricultural town with two pets and have learned allergy medicine is not a luxury but a necessity. Doc gave me the ok on the OTC Zyrtec and I couldn't be happier to have partial use of my nose again. I'm still sleeping about 11 hours a night but am being told a burst of energy is in my near future. That doesn't sound like me but I'll take it if it happens. Monday I go for my First Trimester Aneuploidy Screen to see if there is a risk for having a baby with Down's Syndrome. Can't wait to tell you all about that next Thursday.

Says babycenter.com:
The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Your baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his toes will curl, his eye muscles will clench, and his mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if you prod your abdomen, your baby will squirm in response, although you won't be able to feel it. His intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder.
Meanwhile, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in your baby's brain, synapses are forming furiously. His face looks unquestionably human: His eyes have moved from the sides to the front of his head, and his ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, your baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

No comments: