1.11.2010

Book Review Monday

Did you guys know that BFF is Indian-Indian? That's not entirely PC but her father is from India and her mother is Native American. Being a honky, I have a lot to learn about both cultures and I will be the first to admit it. Mostly though? I love BFF and her brown skin.
On to the book review! I read Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian that BFF gave me for Christmas on the last legs of our Michigan trip and finished it up in the Detroit airport. And I wept. If you recall the Princess & The Frog review... I weep a lot. But I loved this book so they were tears of joy and smittenness. I gobbled it up. Yum Yum Yum.
The book is about a poor Native American boy named Arnold Spirit (a.k.a. Junior) who lives on a reservation and has lofty goals to go farther in life than the reservation would allow. This book is about how he leaves "the rez" to attend a pretty much all-white high school in the hopes of attaining a better education. Naturally, his rez friends feel like he's a traitor and he has a hard time finding his niche with the richer white kids. Also, Junior loves to draw so his diary is littered with these fun little cartoons to illustrate what he's going through. Like Twilight, this book totally brought me back to high school and how dramatic everything was when we were teens. I really recommend this book and quite frankly think it should be required reading for the younguns that may not know enough about people of a different culture and/or skin color. Easy reading with a message. Gotta love it.

3 comments:

Coodence said...

Glad you loved it. I loved it, too! It's so funny, right? And sad? It's funny sad funny sad. The drawings are so good. Hooray!

Hey, Junior!

ceedee said...

ooohhhh...that's going on the list - will check it out at the library :)

Lisa..... said...

I read another book by Sherman Alexie in my Ethnic Lit in the US class. Great writer.