12.21.2009

Movie Review Monday

I guess this could be considered a book review and a movie review. I totally read The Secret Life of Bees back in the day and totally loved it. I think that's what inspired me to put the movie on my Netflix. For those of you that haven't read the book, it's about a young girl that escapes her abusive father with her black nanny that had just gotten beaten while trying to register to vote in the racist south just as the civil rights amendment was passing. Phew. That was a mouthful. Anyway, they make their way to Tiburon because the girl's late mother had a honey label featuring a black Madonna on it made in that city. The two of them end up staying with three sisters named August, May and June. August is a beekeeper, June is all up in the NAACP and May spends most of her time utterly depressed and isn't quite right in the head. A wonderfully uplifting story follows.
Can I just say that I spent probably 60 of the 110 minutes of this movie crying my eyes out? Dakota Fanning has a fantastic future in film ahead of her if she can avoid the trappings of young fame. She is amazing. Queen Latifah? She's muy maternal and I just would like to hug her. Alicia Keys plays a very convincing bitch, Jennifer Hudson is just a pleasure to watch and Sophie Okonedo is quite talented portraying a simple young woman. I don't know if I can recommend the movie over the book but if you're in the mood for a weepfest, I'd say throw this on your queue of movies to rent.

3 comments:

Coodence said...

Nice! I liked the libro, too! Glad they didn't kill it in the movie version.

Not Fainthearted said...

agree agree agree!

For the record, I thought the book was a tear-jerker too.

Can't pick a favorite between book and movie in this instance. I love that!

Lisa..... said...

Liked the book a little more than movie but cried my eyes out in the theater too!