8.24.2009

Inglourious Basterds

I guess you can say I am a Quentin Tarantino fan. Ever since I took a community college course on movie appreciation and we dissected Pulp Fiction, I've been pretty interested in the films he directs. Is that to say I have liked them all? No, not really. But each time I have seen one of his movies, I walk away with an appreciation for their originality and what they mean in cinematic terms. That's pretty much the way I felt about the highly anticipated Inglourious Basterds.
Some things I liked:
1. Dialogue in French, German and English. I admire the fact that this is Nazi occupied France and that the characters didn't all have the prerequisite British accent even though they are supposed to be French and German.
2. Mike Myers' cameo. Like Husband said, he is always best in small doses and while his appearance may have been less than needed, it was much appreciated.
3. The way this movie looked and sounded and felt. Quentin Tarantino knows how to direct a movie and make it totally original and utterly interesting. His characters are unrivaled.
Some things I could have done without:
1. The nearly 3-hour running time. Jesus, people, let's go back to the days of 90-minute movies. Disney did it with Bolt (Netflix, bitches), I know they're not the only ones capable of making a reasonably long movie.
2. The dialogue. Man, Quentin Tarantino can run his mouth. There is a lot of talking in this movie. Probably one of the reasons it ran almost three hours long.
3. Lack of back story. This movie is entitled Inglourious Basterds after a group of soldiers that share the same name yet we learn nothing about how they came to be or who they were. I think we got the back story on a couple of the guys but I wanted to know about the others, too. And maybe understand why Brad Pitt's character spoke with a jutted out lower jaw like Sling Blade.

So there you have it. I don't know whether to recommend this movie or not... I didn't like it or dislike it... I appreciated it. So if you can do that, I'd say go for it. Otherwise... it might not be for you.

1 comment: