8.17.2009

District 9

One word summary: GROSS. Seriously. I left this movie repeatedly telling Husband "Babe? That was gross." There is a lot of exploding bodies, cow heads being sliced in two, pigs being obliterated by alien weaponry, nasty looking prawn aliens, freaky eyeballs, teeth falling out, fingernails falling off, and the list goes on and on. I was totally disturbed by D-9. Not only is it science fiction, it's also a social commentary on slums and prejudice and all that jazz. I can say for certainty that District 9 was unlike any other movie I have seen before. It didn't dawn on me how much I appreciated it as "cinema" until later in the evening I found myself analyzing it over and over, trying to figure out what made it stick with me. Was it the disturbing imagery? The idea that we aren't so different from those around us we consider threatening? I don't know. I will say that for a relatively inexpensive film with no big name stars, it held its own as a summer blockbuster. And it was gross.

1 comment:

Lisa..... said...

I can't tell if that means I should see it or not! I do hate gross things in movies even if I am a nurse.