7.27.2009

Movie Review Monday

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince: It's been a while since I have seen a movie in a theater but it was Harry Potter that took me out of hiding. I have to admit I was intimidated by the nearly three-hour running time but I can honestly say that it didn't seem that long. I laughed a lot thanks to Professor Slughorn but also nearly pooped myself when the Holocaust-like demons came out of the water. Scary! And spoiler alert, my ass. If you haven't read the book, it's not my problem. The teenage angst and love is just so well done! You'll really like it; it's my favorite Harry Potter movie yet.

Grey Gardens: I saw the original 1975 documentary years ago with my fancy gay uncle because it is a bit of a cult classic in those circles. I was befuddled. How did cousins of Jackie O go from being debutantes to a couple of old crazies living in squalor? What this HBO movie does is give you the answers the documentary didn't. It tells us what big and little Edie Beale were like prior to their downward spirals. Drew Barrymore absolutely NAILED it and became little Edie. I can say the same for Jessica Lange. The costumes are absolutely wonderful as well. I really recommend renting this one.

Miracle at St. Anna: And finally there's this movie. Husband rented this Spike Lee story of black soldiers in World War II. Buffalo soldiers they were called. I didn't like this movie. At all. As a matter of fact, we both fell asleep watching it. And when Husband decided to finish it the next day? I took a nap instead. Apparently it's a James McBride novel. He wrote a fantastic book I once read called The Color of Water. I recommend you take the time you would have spent watching this nearly three-hour movie and read that book instead.

2 comments:

Buzz said...

Atta Girl MB,

Miracle at St. Anna was incredibly disjointed, had no flow and plotlines that adjourned before the questions were answered. I waited for the payoff but there was none. Just plain bad.

Coodence said...

I LOVED 'arry pooter!! In fact, I want to go again.