7.02.2009

The Hot House

After reading about the oh-so-tame life of Julie Andrews, I was hungry for a little bit more grit. When HLP moved, she left me a box of books that included The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison by Pete Earley so I chose that as my next read. This book even looked the part with it's cracked spine, its stained pages and the sticker on it that read USED. Earley goes into the prison as a reporter rather than a prisoner from July '87 - July '89 and this book is an excellently written recount of his experience there. He focuses on the warden, a select few inmates and a handful of guards. I have always had a bit of an obsession about prison culture because it is a life so few of us will ever be a part of. I've been a visitor many times but never a prisoner and this book really makes you never want to end up an inmate. And it isn't because of some scare tactic hyperbole - it is simply because there is no way life could be worse than when one is serving time (oftentimes life) behind bars or in "the hole." I recommend this read but it's not for the faint of heart. This book is not holding anything back.

1 comment:

Nancy gurl said...

Just ordered it!!!!!