6.17.2009

I Want To Ride My Bicycle


For the past several years I have been coveting this bicycle. Now that I live near the beach, it is almost a prerequisite that I have a beach cruiser. So I splurged and got this beautiful baby: a bubblegum pink, Paul Frank Skurvy cruiser complete with basket, bell and white wall tires. Now I truly understand the love Pee Wee Herman had for his bicycle in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. It is quite an upgrade from the last bike:

Nothing was wrong with it, per se, I just am not down with shifting gears. So naturally, I turned to Craigslist to try and unload this bad girl. I set the price at a reasonable $60 and even threw in the water bottle holder with water bottle for free! I know, huh? Lucky. I got a couple queries but one fellow was particularly persistent so I told him to come on by and see if he liked it. This guy asked so many questions! How many inches? Is it a mountain bike? Is it an adult bike? And on and on and on. Dude, did you read the ad? Did you see the picture? For $60 - frickin' cheap as far as bikes go - that many questions simply aren't allowed. So he was in my garage hemming and hawing about whether or not to commit when I finally said, "Dude, if you have the exact change, I'll drop the price to $50." Did he have the correct change? No. But he did manage to thumb through about fifteen $20 bills looking for it. And I ended up giving that douche $10 change.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: If you're going to bargain, play the part. Don't flash your wads of cash after haggling the price down.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Dude, I sold my bike on CL for like $25, right? The dude that bought it not only asked me a ton of questions before hand but then after the fact it was allegedly stolen and he then bombarded me for into on the serial number and shit like that. Bikes+CL=weirdos.