6.29.2009

End Of An Era

See that? That's my belly unadorned by jewelry. What a delightful sight for your Monday morning blog viewing. I got my belly button pierced the day after high school graduation. My mother warned me that if I went ahead and did it, she'd kick me out of the house. She never did. Not for that or the tattoos. BFF and I took our graduation money and headed to State Street in Santa Barbara. I remember the day like it was yesterday. She and I in our Doc Martens, driving my '89 Ford Taurus up the 101 most likely listening to Pearl Jam and signing to Hotel California. Smoking our Marlboros. The man who pierced me was named Todd. When I sneezed, I recall he said "Todd bless you." He had holes all over his face where jewelry used to live and a piercing right above his nose, between his eyes. June of 1995, kids. 14 years later it's time to say farewell. It was a good run.

3 comments:

Coodence said...

Trees on both sides! I remember it like it was yesterday, too. You always drove, probably because of safety reasons but also because I shared a car with Banj. You had to be so, so careful driving home with your new little belly button ring. I think you were wearing beige corduroys? What a day!

April said...

Memories like that are awesome!

Why are you taking it out? Just done with it?

Sassy said...

So why did you decide to take it out?
Hmmmmm.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm