6.10.2009

Dear Doctor Blog

I've mentioned this before but right now it's on the forefront of my mind and I'm taking to the blog to see if some of you have some inside scoop you can share with me prior to my next doctor's visit.
I suffer from hypothyroidism. It sounds silly to say "suffer" but it truly is a pain in the ass. Would you like to see my symptoms? Here goes:
  • Fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
  • Coarse, dry hair
  • Dry, rough pale skin
  • Hair loss
  • Cold intolerance (this I'm unsure of because I'm either sweating or freezing)
  • Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
  • Constipation
  • Depression
  • Irritability
  • Memory loss
  • Abnormal menstrual cycles
  • Decreased libido
Fun stuff huh? And about the only things I don't have symptoms for is the stuff with my hair. I've got quite the healthy coiffure, thank you very much. And I wouldn't say my skin is rough either. The rest of it, though? All there. I'm being treated with a prescription but it doesn't seem to be doing much to alleviate my symptoms. I will be attempting to cut things out of my diet that affect my thyroid such as: potatoes, corn, raw cabbage, raw cauliflower, raw broccoli, raw spinach, peaches, pears, strawberries, soy and... wait for it... alcohol. Ugh. I guess what I want to know is, do any of you have hypothyroidism? What have you done to fix the situation? Any advice is much appreciated.

MORAL OF THE STORY: If you don't know the answer, ask the web.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

My mom says you need to make a list of your symptoms and whine A LOT. Also, she wonders if you are getting a high enough dose of meds.

Coodence said...

I don't have a hyperthyroid. But it can also make your eyes real big, so I'm glad that hasn't happened to you.

My word verification is blingst.

Lisa..... said...

I thought I had hypothyroisism. (The hair, brittle nails, tired..I also have raynaud's so i already can't handle the cold). Turned out I was anemic. I bought some iron pills. But it's so frustrating to have vague and annoying symptoms that NONE of my friends took seriously (one said I was just getting old. thanks). I was glad to have something point to to say I am not crazy.

I don't have a lot of advice right now. Synthroid and diet is about all I know to offer. But I would look at alternative therapies like accupuncture.

Lisa..... said...

hypothyroidism...that's what I meant