4.29.2009

Just The Way You Are

Don’t go changing, to try and please me
You never let me down before
Don’t imagine you’re too familiar
And I don’t see you anymore

I wouldn’t leave you in times of trouble
We never could have come this far
I took the good times; I’ll take the bad times
I’ll take you just the way you are

Don’t go trying some new fashion
Don’t change the color of your hair
You always have my unspoken passion
Although I might not seem to care

I don’t want clever conversation
I never want to work that hard
I just want someone that I can talk to
I want you just the way you are.

I need to know that you will always be
The same old someone that I knew
What will it take till you believe in me
The way that I believe in you.

I said I love you and that's forever
And this I promise from the heart
I could not love you any better
I love you just the way you are.

These are the lyrics to the Billy Joel song Buzz & I will dance our first dance to as a married couple. Lately, I have been giving these sentiments a lot of thought. I think it's because I dyed my hair blond this weekend and have been getting compliments left and right because of the change. I'm now sporting fake nails and have plans to do some fake'n'bake sessions at the local tanning salon prior to the ceremony to rid myself of the ever-present wife beater tans I rock since the ol' gown is strapless. I've been promising myself I'll go to the gym, that I'll diet, that I'll weigh less for the ceremony so I can take beautiful pictures. I cringed after looking at pictures of my bridal shower when I saw how my upper arms have expanded to a degree that was no less than shocking to see captured on film. Or digital. Whatever.

The angel and devil of morality that sit upon my shoulders have been having a hell of a debate about a lot of this and I spake with BFF last night to sort of get some things off my chest. She responded with a question that had been posed to her on the same topic: Why do brides insist on losing weight for their wedding and looking a specific way when they will never look that way again? My fiance loves me just the way I am, just like I love him just the way he is. He has never once hinted at me losing weight or changing anything about my appearance. If anything, he has always been 100% supportive of me just being myself.

So while I won't give up all hope and dive head first into a sea of Ben & Jerry's, I've given up torturing myself. I'm not going to the gym. I am busy enough walking my dog, going to work, attending classes during my lunch hour and generally handling biznass when it comes to keeping the house clean and tidy. I will eat well and in moderation but I will not starve myself or consider weightloss pills to reach some ideal that isn't even my own. If we were all supposed to look like Barbie dolls, God would have given us all enough money to get extensive cosmetic surgery.

MORAL OF THAT STORY: I love me just the way I am. (But I really dig the blond hair and fake nails.)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

That's an excellent point the BFF makes. Yep. It is. So yay for her.

And I hope the sentiment of that song extends to all because I'll be the one with the farmer's tan and the whitest legs you've ever seen. Yeah. I will be. I'm sorry.

Shora said...

I love this post! So well said. I wuv you.

And Buzz? He sounds like such an amazing guy. Hey! Maybe you should marry him! ;)