2.10.2009

A Piece of Humble Pie

Recently while trying to wiggle into my size 14 Lucky Brand jeans - fresh out of the dryer, mind you - I managed to rip the zipper. I didn't feel good about that at the time but I figured I would take these very over priced jeans to the local dry cleaner and get the zipper replaced. A $14 investment in a pair of $120 jeans... seems logical. When I picked them up, the zipper had been replaced but it seemed a tooth must have been off kilter because when I would bend over to say, tie my shoes, the zipper would open even though it was zipped to the top.
This morning, I decided to go back to the same dry cleaner and request the zipper be replaced again. When I did, the employee decided to remind me of my girth by saying, "Didn't you say these jeans were too tight the last time you were here?" Well, she had me there. I most certainly did. However, I have other pairs of pants that are too tight and they manage to remain zipped all day. I agreed with her that they were tight but it seemed a matter of a faulty zipper more than a matter of my jeans being too tight as this particular pair happened to have been worn for several days in a row - faulty zipper and all - and were now a nice comfortable fit.
The thing is, I didn't walk into that establishment with even the slightest bit of 'tude. I went in with a smile and requested the zipper be replaced. I didn't demand a free repair or throw my weight around. The employee told me she'd replace it this time for free but if it happened again it was because my pants are too tight, not because her work was sub par. I even offered to pay because I felt guilty for trying to squeeze my Hugh Jass into some snug denim...
I guess I feel like that lady could have had a little more of this thing we in the business call "Customer Service." One would think a smile and an acknowledgment was all she needed to offer rather than basically saying "Hey, fat ass, you ripped your jeans. Not my problem." The customer is always right and doesn't need to be reminded of her weight problem... It's like that one time I went to Abercrombie & Fitch and requested a size 12 and was told "I don't even think they make them that big." Sigh. It's hard out there if you're not a size 2.

6 comments:

Lisa..... said...

I totally feel you. Being as tall as I am, I destined to wear bigger sizes. Even when I am super in shape I am wearing at the smallest a size 8. Currently I am sporting a size 12. And it blows. Short people get to still shop in the cute stores while I am desperately trying to find pants that fit over my ass.

Coodence said...

Thank god for you, Lisa! That's exactly right. I'm 5'9" and at my thinnest was nearly in an 8 but really? A 10.

Abercrombie and Fitch is overpriced anyway. Who needs $80 shorts?

ceedee said...

I feel this is just one of many examples of the way people treat people who aren't a size 2. Guaranteed if you were tiny and went in there to get your zipper replaced, you wouldn't have gotten the attitude. Find a new dry cleaner and tell them to F off.

Buzz said...

I want to go in to that establishment and burn that motherfucker to the ground, to be honest.

Soon as they're done with your jeans that is.

hotdrwife said...

Buzz, I'll drive your getaway car!

Lisa..... said...

Buzz is a keeper. ;)