1.25.2009

Slumdog Millionaire

Two movies in two days! We're on a roll! I knew I wanted to see this movie solely because I have a soft spot in my heart for Danny Boyle. Trainspotting had an incredible impact on me and I know that any movie coming from the man that brought Scottish heroin addicts into my life is worth a revisit.
Oh yeah, and I sometimes have to prove to BFF that I love Indian people.
I noticed a bit of a theme that carried over from Gran Torino and into this afternoon's viewing of Slumdog - Escapism. Fantasy. Mark Harris, a writer for Entertainment Weekly, commented in his last column that GT is "fantasy pretending to be social commentary." I found that interesting. Perhaps he is right, perhaps we have no reason to believe that the racist in our neighborhood has anything to teach us about "heroism and self-sacrifice" but at times like this when our economy is unsteady and our country is at war, it is my humble opinion that people are going to the movies precisely for that escape. Even if it is delusion, it gives us hope.
Perhaps that is why Slumdog Millionaire is nominated for 10 Oscars. Or it could be that this was just an excellent movie. I recoiled seeing the orphans of Mumbai running through poverty stricken slums and miles of trash. I laughed at the innocence of the children. I believed in the main character's honesty and devotion. I tapped my feet along with the incredible soundtrack. And I hoped for a happy ending.
I highly recommend you seeing this. It will open your eyes to a world you are unlikely to have seen before. It will impress you with its story interweaving with a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire subplot. And if you are anything like me, it will have you walking out of the theater with a smile a mile wide plastered across your face... and just maybe, a little Bollywood dance in your step.

1 comment:

Coodence said...

Please, girl. I know your love for the Indian people is strong.