1.24.2009

Gran Torino

I won't mince words here. I had zero interest in seeing this movie. Clint Eastwood in a grumpy old man role? None for me, thanks. But sometimes a girl has to let her man have his way and so I watched it. Begrudgingly.
The beginning of this movie is not the easiest thing to sit through. Hell, the whole movie is unsettling at best. Eastwood's character is a surly widower who also has the added joy of being a racist. His neighborhood is being over taken by Hmong immigrants and he is none too pleased about it. It's not just the immigrants, there are gang members and disrespectful teens to boot. It's a very realistic and upsetting commentary about the current state of affairs in American neighborhoods everywhere.
I really don't want to give away too much of the plot and really make an effort to not do so in my reviews. Let me just say that Gran Torino covers the spectrum of emotions one expects out of a solid film. It was everything one could hope to get out of a movie viewing: I laughed, cried, cringed. I felt so many things - good and bad. And after the movie was over, it stayed with me. It made me think.
What it boils down to is - Clint Eastwood knows how to make an excellent movie. Don't believe me? Watch Million Dollar Baby. I hold both of these films with the same high regard.

No comments: