11.06.2008

Prop 8

Might as well address the elephant in the room and get off this political blogging high I have been on for the past... forever. As some of you may or may not know, Proposition 8 - an amendment to the California Constitution eliminating the rights for same sex couples to marry - has passed. It passed with 52.5% of the votes. You heard me correctly. Just over half. 47.5% of California voters said NO. I am sure this is not the end of this matter as it is clear the "majority" did not rule.

I'm not sure what to say about this. I'm thrilled Americans came together and voted an African American into the presidency. However, that elation is not nearly as high now that I know while most people may no longer be racist, they are still homophobes. The idea that Prop 8 will "restore" or "protect" marriage is absolutely absurd. The divorce rate is still somewhere between 40 and 70% in the United States. Infidelity is rampant. Multiple marriages are not unheard of. Clearly there is some sort of gay agenda or gay cult we should all be terrified of.

But really? Who decides to be gay? Who looks at the newspaper or the television and thinks "You know, that's the lifestyle for me."? Being gay is not a choice. It is not something you decide. It is inherent and it is HARD. Let's face it. Bigotry against homosexuals is blatant as is discrimination. And for those minorities that voted for Prop 8? How dare you. How. Dare. You. You of all people should be sympathetic to the very hardships homosexuals face in today's society.

So that's that. I'm going to get back to the light stuff now. I just wanted to voice my piece of mind. I'm extremely saddened that I have an uncle that needed to leave the United States to marry his boyfriend. When will the United States really practice what it preaches in its equal rights amendment? "Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex."

Please read this blog entry by one of my favorite gays. It's very well written.

7 comments:

ceedee said...

well said!

Buzz said...

Indeed MB, great job.

Trojan said...

Fantastic post!

Lurker Girl said...

Don't get me wrong--I am totally for equality for all--and if I lived in Cali--I definately would have voted against 8--

BUT--your theory that the "majority" didn't rule doesn't hold up. By your thinking, Obama shouldn't be allowed to be the president elect because the "majority" didn't vote for him. He didn't win by much more of a percentage--Sorry, but anything over 50% IS the majority.

Just because it didn't go the way you wanted it, doesn't mean the majority didn't win.

Randi said...

Thank you for your comment on my Prop 8 rant. I guess I put "majority" in quotes for a reason. I don't believe that after the absentee ballots are counted that this vote will hold up. I also believe there is a large number of Californians that did not or could not vote that wholeheartedly disapprove of the decision.
Have a great weekend!

Mary Bu said...

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction," -Pascal

The second is this: "Love your neighbor as yourself." There is no commandment greater than these. (Mark 12:31)

'Nuff said.

Mary

Lisa..... said...

Mary, how about judge not less ye be judged....

It won't last. You cannot marginalize one segment of the poplulation like this forever. It will be changed. Equality is a sham if it does not include everyone.