10.14.2008

No On Prop H8

The winds have blown any semblance of marine layer far, far away. The Channel Islands are so visible that it looks like a mountain range in the middle of the ocean. They look so close you almost feel like you can touch them. The air is crisp and dry and southern California is once again ablaze. All the signs of fall. It's sweater season, the Halloween decorations are out and all is well in the world. A haunted house on the corner of our block has a wee graveyard setup full of skeletons and ghosts and McCain/Palin campaign posters. Definitely my idea of scary. Even scarier, though, are the signs in a neighbor's window across the street: Proposition 8 is free speech, Yes on 8.
Listen, no. No on 8. Everyone deserves the right to marry. To be treated with equality. To be accepted, not just tolerated. There is no "them." There is only "us" - humankind.Please register to vote. I don't think it's too late yet but I know the deadline is drawing near. Click here to find out when your deadline is.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I wish someone could explain to me in terms that I would understand why they are so opposed to gay marriage. I've not yet heard an explanation that makes any sense to me.

They, the opposers, just keep clutching their pearls and repeating something about protecting families. Protecting marriage. Nonsense like that.

The things people choose to focus their energy on confuses me...

ceedee said...

well said!

Lisa..... said...

The commercials are so mean for yes on 8. Even I didn't think it was ok for G&L's to marry (which I DO support), I wouldn't want to support such mean spiritness.

Maine said...

The argument I hear most about preventing gay marriage revolves around 3 guys marrying a dog and a slippery slope. Then there's something about gay couples raising kids. It's all very silly.

But they always sneak these things on ballots during elections where they want to try and increase the conservative turnout. Wedge issues are good for that.