8.25.2008

Hello, Cleveland!!!

I miss The Office. I really do. So when I saw there would be a summer movie starring Dwight Schrute, er, I mean Rainn Wilson I was all over it like white on rice. Add to that the fact that Will Arnett makes a cameo and I was convinced it would be a hit. How could it not be? So on Saturday we decided to go and see The Rocker.
I won't say this movie is bad, per se, but I also won't say it was great. It was entertaining enough. It killed a couple of hours without killing me so I can't complain. There are a few hilarious moments like the opening scene that gives a little back story of the 80s hair band Vesuvius but other than that the movie sort of just continues on harmlessly.
The music is pretty good, too. Teddy Geiger, a one-hit wonder pop star of recent times, is the emotional singer/songwriter for a high school garage band named A.D.D. Frankly, he is talented though borderline "emo" and good looking so listening to him sing was pleasant enough. There's a cute little romance between his character and the lone girl in the band played by Emma Stone. We last saw her in Superbad though I don't recall her lisp being quite as noticeable in that one. It was quite distracting for Buzz and because of that, it was all I could focus on.
So... yeah. Mediocre. I think ultimately this genre just wasn't directed at me. I'm neither a failed rock star pining for what could have been nor a teenager in a band with all my angst. But if you have nothing going on and you don't mind killing some time, The Rocker isn't that bad. How's that for noncommittal?

2 comments:

Buzz said...

How's that for noncommittal?

Perfect

Andrea said...

NetFlix it is, then.

I liked the one little ditty by the Teddy dude, though. Shhh...it's on my 'pod. Must listen to it now.