5.08.2008

Apartment Living Sucks

With the prospect of renting a house on the horizon, apartment living has become practically unbearable. Last night really sealed the deal for me, though. I've lived in the same building for nearly two years and while there has really been only one serious disturbance of the domestic kind it has mostly been peaceful. Sure, there's the general racket (loud music, humping, "Mexican doorbells" a.k.a. people honking their horn for people to come out of the house) but for the most part I've truly enjoyed my wee apartment.
So what happened last night? Well the neighbors in #11 have been a problem pretty much since the day they moved in. Their music is constantly set on loud and their windows are always open. They have plastic lawn chairs for furniture and there is a rotating cast of eses and cholos*** that is pretty much consistently coming and going from their apartment. Parties at all hours of the night, outdoor voices indoors and all around shenanigans. Something clearly went down over the weekend because their window was broken. They claim it was a break in but really? They don't even have furniture.
So last night there was clearly a fight going down. I could hear yelling and what sounded to me like skin hitting skin. I don't know if it was an open hand or a fist but there was definitely contact of a rough nature made. After an explosion of curses, the door was slammed and the already broken window crashed to the ground. Needless to say, my landlady showed up at their door shortly thereafter.
Rather than the tenant admitting she was at fault for all of the commotion, said tenant instead proceeded to proclaim that I sell drugs out of my apartment. She must have screamed at our landlady for a good fifteen minutes. Then the police came. Not just the police, mind you, K-9 police with German Shepherds barking their fool heads off from the squad cars. "I know my rights!" to which the officer responded "Good. Then you'll know that you're in public and you're drunk so it's in your best interest to get back inside and settle down."
I got about 4 hours of sleep. Had Eli sit in my living room until I finally fell asleep. Had my co-worker come to my apartment this morning to walk me to my car. I'm pretty much a bundle of nerves right now. Just had to get this off my chest. Sometimes it's hard being a woman living on her own and it's even harder admitting that.

***I know I sound all kinds of racist but if you lived in Oxnard you'd be saying the same shit. "Some of my best friends are Mexican" and I speak Spanish. Fuckit. I'm an honorary Latina.

5 comments:

Lisa..... said...

Living in an apartment sucks sometimes...I remember being pregnant and exhausted with a 4 yr old. Some lady kept showing up at 4am to pick up a neighbor and instead of knocking on the door she would honk her horn. Again and again, until the neigbor came out. Finally I scared the shit out of her when I screamed at her in my pj's. But feeling unsafe...time to move.

Trojan said...

I so had to deal with this crap last night....

Apt living can really bite the big one!Grrrrr

Andrea said...

Oh crap Randi! You OK? When are you moving? If I was closer you know you could crash with me.

I just love when people are in trouble and they instead try to deflect onto others. "Sure my window is broken, the door is slammed, and I'm drunk and yelling...but...um....she sells drugs! Yeah. Talk to her." Dumbasses.

Buzz said...

Yeah, it's time to make the move...

Sassy One said...

Maybe it was just really loud/rough sex?!

If you feel unsafe...leave. It's not worth being nervous and worrying. Onward and upward.