3.13.2008

María Full of Grace

Normally I'm not one to throw up a movie review on a rental, needless to say a rental that is several years old. This is a Spanish language movie (also known as María, eres llena de gracia in Colombia) that we watched en mi clase de español yesterday afternoon. It was also a highly regarded independent film when it was released and Catalina Sandina Moreno (María) was nominated for the Best Actress Oscar that year. I see a lot of movies and I can honestly say that this is better than any blockbuster, high budget, star studded flick I have seen in a very long time. Mi profesora said that no one cast in this movie was a professional actor but I have no proof to substantiate that claim. If it's true, awesome, but the performances are solid regardless of their experience in acting. The movie is about Colombian female mules that smuggle cocaine into the U.S. by swallowing condensed drug capsules into their stomach. Clearly, this is a very vague summary as there are so many more fascinating layers than a simple drug smuggling movie but I don't want to give too much away. This film is surprisingly realistic and often times feels like a documentary. I would highly recommend you check it out. English subtitles are available on the DVD.

3 comments:

Lisa..... said...

I loved that movie!!

hotdrwife said...

This is SUCH a good movie. It's hard to watch, in that you realize what people ARE DOING for survival. But damn. So good. On a different tone, the movie Quincenera (spelling is wrong) is really good, too.

TK Kerouac said...

I'll check it out.