2.20.2008

Moral of the Story Hump Day Movie Review

What are the odds that I would totally dig a gangster movie set in Harlem? American Gangster. Hell of a movie. Let's face it, when was the last time you saw a bad Denzel Washington flick? Not that I have anything against Russel Crowe but Denzel... well he's not only an incredibly talented actor but damn he's fine. This story is awesome and both Crowe and Washington put in amazing performances, both equally entitled to have their names on the top of the poster. Common makes an appearance as do several other rappers but I think my favorite cameo was Anthony Hamilton. I love his voice. He's got soul so it makes perfect sense he'd be the singer for a funk band, right? Dang. I think I blew Buzz's mind when I actually knew that the actress who played Russel Crowe's wife is Carla Gugino. I'm not sure. But what a random actress to know right? And Cuba Gooding Jr? I'm glad to see your reputation wasn't completely tarnished resulting in you being banned from movies for life after Boat Trip. Not that I ever saw it, but come on. That synopsis looks like absolute horse shit. You're better than that. We're all better than that.
Anyway, back to the reason we're all here. It is astonishing to me that American Gangster is based on a true story. That something like this actually happened is sort of mind blowing. You've got the Vietnam war, the drug trade, the mob... it's all so dark and that they're all connected is no less than astonishing. Sometimes I think I'm too naive. I loved the story of the good cop and a gangster coming together to bust the corrupt cops. This movie is gritty looking. Raw. There were some violent, graphic moments and I won't lie I gasped aloud at them. If you're looking for action, there's not much to be found here but if you're looking for a movie that makes you think, I say it's well worth your time to watch this one.

Moral of that story: Frank Lucas is a bad ass. Watch yo'self.

3 comments:

Jawn said...

I'm going to blockbuster right after I hit publish...good review R-Dizzle

Buzz said...

Yeah, Frank is a bad man. Modern day Robin Hood for Harlem wearing primo suits and bustin' caps.

Very good writeup!

Hollz said...

ok i am sooo going to rent this movie now and denzel is smokin HOT!!!!!!