1.14.2008

Sad

Yesterday I finished Janine Latus's If I Am Missing Or Dead: A Sister's Story of Love, Murder, and Liberation. This book has been sitting on my Amazon wish list for some time but HLP left it for me when she moved so I didn't have to drop a dime on it. Nice. What wasn't nice, however, is the theme of this book - abuse. Mental. Physical. You name it. I have to be honest, when I saw this book I thought it was going to be more in the vein of a true crime story or a murder investigation because the author's sister, Amy, ends up dead at the hands of a boyfriend. I was under the impression that it was going to be her story. Instead, for the first 230 some odd pages, Janine Latus tells her own story of an "overly affectionate" father, several molestations, a rape, an abusive relationship and eventually her marriage to an overbearing, controlling, jealous husband. Amy is mostly a confidant sharing her struggles with unhealthy relationships and obesity while her sister is trying her hardest to pretend her life is perfect and that her husband loves her despite their problems. For anyone that has been in an abusive relationship, I'd say this is a good read in the sense that it teaches women that there are people out there willing to help, we just have to ask for it. For me, however, I spent most of the time seriously frustrated with the author and how she tolerated and defended such an asshole of a husband. Perhaps I saw a bit of myself in her, a person who simply wasn't aware of how wonderful she was and how much more she deserved out of life and love.

No comments: