Keep her waiting for hours
This post was brought to you by the number 12 and the letter F.
My second viewing was BFF recommended and Eli approved. The Watcher In The Woods is more of a family fare horror flick so you won't find any rape and torture here. It's Disney circa 1980 so it was a nice follow up to the sickness we'd just seen. While Bette Davis is always creepy (Hello, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane), I was more creeped out by the little girl who called her dog Nerak. For those of you not in the know, that's Karen (the missing girl) spelled backwards. Yeah. This is almost sci-fi by the time the ending clears things up. The best part about it? I had to rent this bad boy on VHS. Dude. I don't even have a VCR. I can see how this movie would scare a twelve year old and make someone super scared of reflections but after witnessing the fucked up shit I just did, it was a cakewalk.
Session 9 I had never heard of prior to a web-based list of the 50 scariest movies of all time. I can sort of see why as it doesn't really have any major stars in it but this was a great psychological thriller. A sort of "whodunnit" that keeps you wondering which of these haz-mat workers cleaning up an old, abandoned mental institution has lost his damn mind. I can sort of relate to the creepy feel of the set because I attend college in a former state hospital and just being on campus in the dark is enough to spook me. As in the prior two movies, it too is set in the woods so you get that that feeling of terror that only comes with isolation.
And for our grand finale after a marathon weekend of scary movie viewing, we chose C. Thomas Howell's The Hitcher. This is another suspenseful and somewhat realistic scenario and it also teaches us very valuable lessons:
- Don't pick up hitchhikers
- Don't go on long distance drives alone
- Don't talk to strangers
Holy moly. Who knew that there were such psychos in the world. This hitchhiker was hell-bent on killing Soul Man. They just don't make horror movies like they did in the 70s and 80s. I would pick any of these psychological thrillers over gore-porn any day. There's nothing like the feeling of squirming in your seats. I would recommend any of the above for a good scare... Halloween is only 2 days away...
When I called and asked if I could return my book to you if I was withdrawing from my class, you told me "Yes." I had an offer from another student to buy it but told him no because I'd rather get the full refund on a brand new book I cracked open only once. At no time did you mention a deadline to me. You simply told me to bring in my W with my receipt and I'd get my $168 back. However, when I went to return the book yesterday, a mere 4 days including the weekend after I got my W, you told me the deadline had passed. Well, frankly, I was irritated. Then I saw the giant green sign behind your counter that said you gladly bought books back year 'round so I asked you to buy my book back and you told me you couldn't! WTF? I'm in customer service/sales and I know all about this thing called "the customer is always right" even when they're not. You did nothing to make sure I, your customer, left your store happy. It's no wonder people are turning to Amazon to buy and sell their text books, you rip off artists.
- Kings lost to the Bruins 8 to 6 but I wasn't too devastated as John Krasinski (Jim) and Steve Carell (Michael) of The Office fame were in attendance and I totally got to see them on the jumbotron and I was screaming like an 8th grader at a New Kids on the Block concert. See?
- On Saturday I rode my bicycle from my folks' house to my apartment as it has been collecting dust in their garage for over a year. I locked it in my car parking space because I am unable to schlep a bicycle upstairs and I got a ticket from my apartment manager saying I was illegally parked.
- Sunday was brunch and do you know what that means? It means I am not really doing the Special K diet as instructed. I'm a rebel. Since food is very important to me, I modified the diet a bit. Considering I exercised 5 out of 7 days last week, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Nope. It is what it is.
- In lieu of being a cat for the umpteenth Halloween in a row, I am stepping outside of my comfort zone. Buzz invited me to a costume party and we've decided to go as Peter and Lois Griffin from The Family Guy. I got an orange wig last night and it kicks ass. What are you going to be?
What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?
Hands down, The Shining. The Exorcist probably could have been a contender had Chente not joked through it the entire time.
What was your favorite Halloween costume as a child?
I think I answered this in a TMI Tuesday not too long ago but it was definitely the full-on head-to-toe leopard suit.
Given enough money what would be your fantasy Halloween costume?
I have always just wanted to be thin enough to be something slutty. Ideally? Catwoman's rubber suit. Like, the actual one Michelle Pfeiffer wore in Batman Returns.
When was the last time you went trick-or-treating?
It's been years. Nothing irritates my folks more than big kids trick-or-treating so it was forbidden when we reached high school.
What is your favorite Halloween candy?
Anything Reese's but I'd probably have to choose the Pieces because of their connection with E.T. and their festive fall colors.
Tell us about a scary nightmare you once had?
Most of my nightmares involved being chased or fleeing for my life. I don't recall specifics generally.
What is your supernatural fear?
I get nervous in dark hallways when I'm alone.
What is your 'creepy-crawly' fear?
Big ol' thick juicy spiders that look like they have bones and squish all loud.
Tell us about a time when you saw a ghost, or heard something go bump in the night?
As HLP will testify, we didn't have much luck last year when we went to the "haunted" Olivas Adobe so I don't have much experience in this genre. However, once in high school, BFF and I were driving around town and I will put it on my mother that I saw a UFO.
Would you stay overnight in a real haunted house?
Sure. Unless it's the one in Amityville. All those flies? No thanks.
Are you a traditionalist or a creative carver of your Jack-O'Lantern?
I'm sort of traditional with an edge. I definitely like carving faces but a couple years ago I totally carved Skurvy. Neat.
How much do you decorate your house at Halloween?
Since I have a tiny apartment I'm pretty limited but I do have a SPOOKY sign up, some festive place mats and a Halloween tree.
What do you want on your tombstone?
Much like HDW, I'm tempted to list pizza toppings. There's no way in this day and age anyone can take this question seriously.
You may be asking how I could take a walk after work if I have class on Monday nights. Well, Vehicular is being troublesome and costly. For about a week now she's been making popping sounds when she turns or goes over rough terrain (a.k.a. bumpy streets, not off-roading). I didn't want to chance being stranded out in the dark, agricultural fields of Camarillo, risking confrontations with wild beasts such as coyotes and/or independent bunnies so I didn't go. Sue me.
This morning I'm off to a great start. Woke up at 6 a.m. and did my 40-minutes of DVD exercise. Had my cereal and a banana. Dropped off Vehicular. And now I'm at the office. I guess I should gt to work. What a novel idea, eh?
Bowl of Special K (any variety) with 2/3 cup skim milk and fruit (or I think it was a Special K frozen waffle if you aren't feeling cereal. I have no waffles.)
Another serving of cereal or a Special K Protein Meal Bar with fruit
Eat dinner per usual (unless you're me and think "usual dinner" is an entire medium pizza)
Fruits and veggies for snacks
Beverages per usual (though I assume this does not include beer)
2 additional daily snacks allowed:
Special K Protein Snack Bar
Special K2O Protein Water
Special K Cereal Bars
Special K Snack bites
Yeah... by the time I got out of the market with enough food (hopefully) to last the 2 weeks I had dropped a cool $70. For cereal. Hardly seems right. In addition to this crash diet, I will also be walking for at least 45 minutes in the evening and attempting to do the Crunch Super Slimdown Pilates Yoga Blend DVD a few times a week in the mornings. That is quite possibly the most intense 40 minutes I've ever had on my living room floor... I mean, except for that one time...
I really don't think I qualify as either. More of a mid-day sort of gal. If given the choice I'd stay in bed until I was ready to get up and I'd go to sleep when I was ready to go to sleep. No matter what the time. I am capable of getting up at Oh'Dark Early and am able to stay awake until the sun rises. I just generally don't.
2. If you could only be one, would you rather be smart or good looking?
Smart. Good looking is temporary but smarts tend to last a long time. Unless, of course, you have a debilitating case of Alzheimer's. Then it's a whole other ball game.
3. Do you gossip?
Seriously? Everyone gossips. If they didn't, the tabloid business wouldn't be thriving, half the websites in the world wouldn't exist and we wouldn't have anything to talk about.
4. On a scale of 1-10, how adventurous are you? (1 is lowest, 10 is highest)
I'm willing to try anything once but I have my limits so I guess I'd give myself an 8.
5. On a scale of 1-10, how good a kisser do you think you are?
Have you seen these lips of mine? My tongue can touch the tip of my nose. Perfect 10, bitches.
Bonus (as in optional):What do you consider the biggest turn on out of the following? a) lingerie b) movies c) toys d) role playing e) leather f) none of this does anything for me
I'd probably pick movies but the biggest turn on for me is chemistry. If I'm not with the right guy, nothing can get me going. If I am with the right guy, anything can.
- Dodgers beat the Giants on Friday night. Not that it matters since the Dodgers will have no post-season but it sort of does since I hate the Giants.
- Buzz came and went too quickly but the visit was grrreat!
- On Saturday HLP and I hit up Cirque du Soleil's Corteo at the Forum in Inglewood. Up to no good. In the 'hood. Gotta be honest, was not really hyped on the idea but WOW. Those are some bendy folks. I'm thinking about dropping down to 90 lbs. and joining. There was a gal that could spin and juggle hoops on both hands and both feet simultaneously. How does one discover that skill? And how does one decide to hone that skill as her craft? Another woman was hanging from a rope attached to the roof of the tent by one ankle, doing splits mid-air, with a grown-ass man hanging from her free ankle doing acrobatics. All in all, pretty amazing, jaw-dropping stuff.
- Yesterday was E fun day. All day. He's not even one and is capable of wearing ol' auntie out with the quickness. He truly is the sunshine in my life. The love just beams out of him.
- Did you watch the Rock of Love finale? I. can. not. believe. Jes. won. I mean, Heather had Bret's name TATTOOED on the back of her neck for chrissakes. And Jes? Is 23. Yeah. I see that lasting. VH1 is previewing a new reality TV show called America's Most Smartest Model with Ben Stein to replace ROL in the Sunday at 9 pm time slot. I see myself getting sucked in already.
- Can y'all effin' bohleave it's October already??? Holy smokes!
Pictures of the weekend to follow.