9.12.2007

Climb Every Mountain

chal·lenge to arouse or stimulate especially by presenting with difficulties:
She wants a job that will challenge her

OMG, Merriam-Webster, you totally read my mind. For the last couple of weeks it has been pretty slow here at the old workplace. I have definitely not extended myself effort-wise in some time. The brain, she is chilling. Way too much time spent on tabloid websites and MSNBC. Not enough time firing off synapses. This, in turn, leads to a very cranky Randi. A bitch, if you will. I'm irritable because, contrary to popular belief, I am super smart. Oftentimes, I feel micromanaged and spoken down to. In my HRM class we did an evaluation on Schein's Career Anchors (what will keep you happy at a job) and my main two were Pure Challenge and Autonomy/Independence. Go figure.
So after another long day of "work" (working hard or hardly working?) I headed off to my Business Finance class. My mood was questionable to say the least but I sucked it up and headed into that classroom with every intention of getting something out of it. And boy did I. For those of you that are new to the blog, I have a horrific past relationship with mathematics. Well, wouldn't you know it, this class is filled to the brim with word problems and equations. Excellent. Only, last night, with the support of a very patient and intelligent classmate, I totally knew how to do the work! Not only that, but I actually helped others. Needless to say, this put me in a great mood. I now realize that just because I'm not challenged right now at work, I am challenged in school. And eventually, after that degree is mine, I will be able to pick a position that fits my needs. Look at me smile.
Sigh of relief.

2 comments:

Itchy said...

I, on the other hand, am currently being overly challenged at work and it's leaving me in the dreaded doubt filled area.

I feel like Juliane Moore in "Boogie Nights": "Too many things, too many things, too many things."

There has got to be a happy medium out there for us all...

exile said...

sounds like parts of randi are up for a good challenge, hehehe