7.18.2007

Dirty Hippies

In case you are completely unaware, this month marks the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love. I'm not exactly sure why this is such a big deal other than its affiliation with free love, LSD and some pretty dope music, but up in San Francisco it is being celebrated like nobody's business. Prior to the Giants vs Dodgers game (if I had access to my home computer I'd show you pictures), the Summer of Love Revue (original name, no?) cover band was dressed in authentic 60s costuming in front of a psychedelic bus, riffing on their guitars and banging their tambourines like they were the Mamas and the Papas. Not exactly my cup of tea as I prefer the originals, but to each their own. Since my uncle and I were of the first 20,000 fans to show up at the stadium, we were rewarded with free Summer of Love tee shirts courtesy of Connie's Pizza. Wherever that is. They're fugly but they were free and I shall wear them when I clean my house. Since X-Small was not a size offered, my uncle gave me his so now I am the proud owner of 2 butt ugly tee shirts. Anyway, one of my absolute favorite parts of attending baseball games is singing the national anthem along with a stadium full of fans. If I miss it because I'm late arriving, I am left feeling an obvious void. If it's sung well enough, it will bring tears to my eyes. Oh, patriotism. How deeply you run in my veins. San Francisco decided to keep the Summer of Love theme going and invited the Summer of Love Revue to present the national anthem in the style of the late, great Jimi Hendrix. And I gotta tell you, they fucking blew it. Never in my life have I heard a worse rendition. Jimi? Sure. Cover band? I don't think so. And the Giants fans ate it up! I was appalled. Listen, the anthem is fine sung in standard form. Whitney Houston is the queen in my humble opinion. Roseanne Barr... well let's not get my dad started. And to all of those R&B superstars that feel the urge to add flair and oohs and aaahs ad nauseum? Save your creative liberties for your own music. Stop turning my anthem into shit. Thank you. And God bless America.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

My favorite version of the anthem is the one sung by the developmentally disabled people I work with. Seriously? It doesn't get more patriotic than that. Some of these people can barely speak and yet they can belt out the Star Spangled Banner like no other. It makes me tear up every.single.freaking.time.

Buzz said...

Atta Girl