5.03.2007

Love Thursday

Do you know what I love today? That I am completely finished with all my required reading for the semester. Do you know what that means? That I can begin reading for pleasure again. Oh my, it's been a while. First on my list is the BFF recommended Life of Pi. It's currently waiting on my nightstand to be read. Bye, bye Lesbian Body. You shan't be missed.
I also love the fact that I don't have any more major presentations to do. The Multicultural Drama performance was over with on Tuesday night. My oral presentation for the LGBT class was last week. I'm letting out a big sigh of relief.
The only things I have for the rest of the semester are 3 papers, a final exam and a couple revisions to make portfolios. Quite frankly, I plan on wrapping the majority of that up this week and/or over the weekend. That's it! Two weeks from today and school's out for summer.
I have a quick question and would love to know your opinion. My prof said you cannot begin a sentence with "because." I disagree. What do you think?
Discuss.

8 comments:

Coodence said...

Googling this question comes up with a couple of answers. Looks like its probably not supposed to be used in academic writing because you're not usually supposed to start a sentence with a conjuction, but when you start a sentence with a subordinate clause, it makes sense.

Coodence said...

And that, my friends, was a run-on sentence.

ceedee said...

nice grammer, coodence! Mrs. Penrose would be proud :) I find that "because" is a difficult word to start a sentence with. Mostly for the fact that it is essentially clausal, meaning you have to state something in order to say why it is happening. It is sunny today because there are no clouds. Because there are no clouds, it is sunny today. Meh, sounds the same to me....what do profs know anyways?

Rach said...

Hope you are not stressing about the work though. Because you're getting it all done, the summer off - woo hoo!

Sassy One said...

I don't think you can really start a sentence with because, unless you continue it in the manner that ceedee said. You couldn't just answer a question (ie: Why is sally pissed?") Because she is pmsing and there is no chocolate in sight. It doesn't sound right.

I tell the kids, if you are going to start a sentence with because, you might as well just put your pencil down and leave...hehe.

What do I know though?

Jessica said...

Before I scrolled down to the comment about Mrs. Penrose, I was thinking that useful knowledge must have come from the lovely, and talented, Mrs. Grady.

Sornie said...

Make it good practice to never begin a sentence with "because", "and" and "When I was your age". That last one's not so much a grammar thing but just good advice.

Scottie said...

Because your professor said that I can tell he's a bit picky.