5.26.2007

"End" My Ass

Going in to Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End I knew three things:
1. It was going to be long
2. It was going to be confusing
3. It was going to be visually stimulating
And just as I expected, it was all of those things. Technically, you can go in at the last hour and be satisfied. However, I do not recommend that you see this 168-minute movie after a work day and a few cocktails at happy hour. You may very well fall asleep. There is not nearly enough swashbuckling and way too much story. To quote Elvis, this movie would have been much better with "a little less conversation, a little more action." Newcomers Chow Yun-Fat and Keith Richards were great additions with not nearly enough screen time. Who knew the Rolling Stoner had acting chops? The Will Turner-Elizabeth Swann-Jack Sparrow love triangle is stale by this point and quite frankly there is no chemistry between any of them as far as this viewer is concerned. I will finally admit, though, that Keira Knightley is a very pretty girl when she isn't speaking. Her complexion is flawless. And Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp are frickin' hotties. End of discussion.
It may sound like I'm complaining but I'm not meaning to. Visually, this is a gorgeous movie. The make-up, costumes and locales are, in one word: Rad. The special effects are impressive to say the least. I think the Pirates franchise is a great form of fantasy for grown-ups that are kids at heart but I have no idea how children keep up or find entertainment in these films. Naturally, this third installment left the future wide open for many sequels to come if they so choose to take that course. Chances are good that, just like the first three, I'll go to the fourth and leave the theater wondering why.

5 comments:

The Scooter said...

Saw one, didn't see two, so no way I'll jump in the middle and go to three. How can they call a movie 'At World's End' and make a 4th. Probably cause it'll make more money than Cambodia does in a whole year.

Sassy One said...

I'd go just to see Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom. Never a disappointment there!

hotdrwife said...

I don't get to see movies in theaters anymore. So, this will likely be the Netflix pick if we get it at all.

I'd still hump Johnny Depp silly, though.

Itchy said...

I'm gonna see it, but mostly out of some sense of obligation. Oh...and to think dirty thoughts about Johnny....

Sorry...started a bit early there...

dirk.mancuso said...

I loved the first one and hated the second one. Maybe it's me, but there's a lot to be said for cohesive plots and tight storytelling.

And oy, the last one was so LOUD. I think I lost some hearing sitting through the last one.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I am getting so old...