4.09.2007

Round 2 of Allergy Tests

Today was my second round of allergy testing. In case you don't know how this goes down I'll give you a play by play. I take off my top and lie on my belly and the nurse marks my back up. Then she takes a little beaker of liquefied allergens and drops them on the grid she has drawn. After that, she takes a little tool almost like a toothpick and scratches each little droplet. My back reacts to whatever it is I'm allergic to by forming a bump. Last week the feather bump looked like I got stung by a wasp but today's test hardly produced a reaction. Apparently the only bump was produced by histamines. Whatever that means. Next I have to do the subcutaneous injection testing. 50 injections total, 25 each visit. I am really not looking forward to this which is pretty funny considering I have about 10 hours worth of tattoo work on my body and a belly button ring and I used to be a blood donor. One would think I wouldn't have any anxiety when it comes to needles. But 25 injections on my arms? Well that hardly sounds like fun to me.
Over the weekend after my many indulgences I was surprised to see that I didn't really have any reaction to any of the food I ate. I mean, I had a stomach ache but really that was to be expected considering the binge fest and copious amounts of beer I ingested. Today, however, I had a yogurt for a snack and the roof of my mouth got all hot and puffed up. I guess that will be my last yogurt. Weird how three weeks without eating something can cause a reaction, huh? I really love that I'm doing this allergy testing. Seems like I should probably know what the heck my body's up to.

3 comments:

Shora said...

I had to go through that when I was a kid, 'cept back then it was all injections and all in my back. And I was allergic to just about everything... good times. Enjoy! ;)

Itchy said...

YIKES! I didn't go through all of that for my allergy tests, thank gawd. They just did that drops and scratches on my arm. And then told me not to scratch at it if it itched. DUH! You just put allergens on me and I can reach it! Dopes...

But 25 shots?!?!?! *faint*

Sassy One said...

You know if I wanted to be poked from behind...this wouldn't be quite what I had in mind.