4.12.2007

GRINDHOUSE

Before I bring you to your regularly scheduled movie review, let me offer you this public service announcement: One month 'til I turn 30. Thank you.
My Amazon.com Wish List
And on with the show...

Do any of you know someone that seems to know all about the weirdest underground movies and deems you worthy of introducing you to them? My uncle is that man for me. However, he introduced me to such cult classics as Grey Gardens and essentially the entire John Waters collection. Not to movies like this. No. This is a genre that went right over my head and boy am I glad Grindhouse was made so I could finally see what I have been missing. Can I say these were good movies? I don't know. They're not supposed to be. But you can clearly see that both Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino made these babies with love. This double-feature has all the faux tell-tale signs of a faded reel-to-reel. And that's what it is. Two feature length films broken up by a smattering of delightful trailers made by the likes of Eli Roth and Rob Zombie. My favorite was Thanksgiving, which you'll just have to see to understand. It's like a time machine back to the days of drive-ins.
Do not miss the opening trailer called Machete. "You fucked with the wrong Mexican." The first half is Planet Terror is Robert Rodriguez's. If you are familiar with any of his other films you'll recognize a familiar cast of characters. It's a zombie feature and is totally disgusting. Death Proof is all Tarantino and features one of the best car scenes I have ever seen on film. Man. There is so much I want to say but don't want to write on ad nauseam. I love how both of these movies seem so old yet they have modern life thrown into them like cell phones and current model automobiles. The chicks in both kick the most serious ass and look hot as hell doing it. You are doing yourself a disservice if you wait for DVD. This is absolutely a must-see in the theater. But only if you respect and admire Tarantino and Rodriguez and love the movie-going experience as a whole.
Otherwise you probably won't like it.
Maybe just give it a shot and donate your hard-earned, cold, hard cash so it won't look like this bad boy tanked. The future of movies is in your hands.
Jesus Christ. I just re-read this and it has to be the most disjointed review I've ever written. Oh well. I'm leaving it. I loved this movie.

3 comments:

Itchy said...

I gotta convince the husband to go with me. Or go alone. Either way, I am seeing this in the theatre!

Buzz said...

I'm not thinking disjointed.

You did a good job, kinda hard to write about and not spoil it.


-buzz

Coodence said...

i cant get the wishlist to work. xoxo