3.05.2007

Zodiac

It's so rare to see a great movie anymore that I almost feel like summing Zodiac up in one word: Go. How Wild Hogs beat this movie in the box office is beyond me and frankly it says much about the sad state of cinema in general. As an avid, borderline obsessive, fan of Court TV and A&E for their investigative programming, (Bill Curtis and Dayle Hinman, if you're reading this, I love you) I got sucked into this movie almost instantaneously. How disappointed was I when I got that familiar tingle in my bladder telling me to make a mad dash to the bathroom! Zodiac is pretty much non-stop and has an extremely riveting storyline. The majority of the movie is dialogue with very few graphic murder scenes which is how I'd imagine a true crime investigation going down. However, the few violent scenes shown will have you squirming in your seat. Jake Gyllenhaal's character is a newspaper cartoonist who becomes obsessed with the unsolved case and decides to write a book about it. There are times during his investigation that are extremely intense and nerve wracking but there was never a moment I was terrified. Somehow, I think Zodiac is a better movie because of that. Robert Downey Jr. is your go-to guy when it comes to playing drugged out or washed up. The rest of the cast is equally, if not more, impressive. Goose, I'm sorry, Anthony Edwards, makes a comeback here and it's good to see his face on the big screen. Chloe Sevigny earned my respect with Big Love and she shines as Gyllenhaal's wife. I could literally go on and on about this movie but I'm not sure what I'd say other than I loved it and it was great to see an insanely smart film for a change. Make sure you go in with an empty stomach and skip the drinks, though, as Zodiac comes in at just under 3 hours.

4 comments:

Itchy said...

If we hadn't of been in "get shit done" mode around our house we would have totally been at this movie. Next weekend I'm sure we'll see it.

Sassy One said...

Is it bad that I base my movie viewing on what your reviews are?

Well I do.

Dark Damian said...

I hate to admit it, but Wild Hogs was funny. And PG-13, hence how it beat a rated-R movie. WEEEE DOGGY!

Shora said...

I'm with Sassy, I love your reviews. I've never even heard of this movie but now I'm gonna go see it. The studios should pay you for these posts!